VITAMIN D AND ITS DEFICIENCY
What is Vitamin D?
Vitamin D is a vitamin important for good overall health and strong & healthy bones. Vitamin D is also known as Sunshine Vitamin. It is produced by our body in response to sunlight.
Why is Vitamin D so Important?
Vitamin D is essential for strong bones because it helps body use calcium from the diet. Vitamin D is effective for preventing & treating many conditions like
• Low levels of Phosphate in blood
• Low blood calcium levels
• Helping prevent low calcium & bone loss
• Vitamin D deficiency
Sources of Vitamin D:
The main source of Vitamin D is Sunlight. Other sources include
1) Oily Fish ( Herring, trout, tuna, salmon)
2) Fortified foods (Margarine, some Cereals)
3) Cod liver oil
4) Egg yolk, Liver & wild mushrooms
Causes of Vitamin D Deficiency:
a) Inadequate exposure to sunlight
b) Vitamin D Malabsorption syndrome
c) Inadequate consumption of recommended levels of vitamin
d) Dark skin
f) Kidneys not converting Vitamin D to its active form
Symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency:
• General muscle pain & weakness
• Muscle cramps
• Joint pain
• Chronic pain
• Weight gain
• High BP
• Restless sleep
• Poor concentration
• Bladder problems
How do we Diagnose Vitamin D deficiency?
– Initial diagnosis is from medical history, symptoms or life style
– Simple blood test for Vitamin D level
– Blood test for calcium & phosphate levels & liver function
– Sun Exposure- Sensible sun exposure for 10-15 minutes between 10AM and 3.00PM produce Vitamin D in skin that may last twice as long in the blood
– Diet- Consume foods rich in Vitamin D
– Vitamin D supplements
Vitamin D deficiency is a part of General Orthopedics which should not be ignored.